What We're About
Our History: Where We’ve Been – Where We’re Going
First Assembly of God was the first church in South Carolina to affiliate with the General Council of the Assemblies of God in Springfield, Missouri. The church was founded under the leadership of Reverend A. T. Abbott.
In the year of 1924, Reverend Abbott felt led of the Lord to establish a new church in harmony with his Bible beliefs. He and many of his friends who were in agreement with his purpose began to meet in a garage building on Bramlette Road about two blocks west of Parker High School.
The meetings were signally blessed of God and the attendance began to increase. After several months of growth the church moved to a store front building on West Parker Road. In March of 1925 Reverend W.F. McDade of Jacksonville, Florida came for a series of revival meetings. On the closing Sunday, March 25, Reverend McDade conducted an organizational business meeting.
The church body voted unanimously to affiliate with the Tennessee District of the General Council and adopted the Statement of Fundamental Truths as adopted in Hot Springs, Arkansas, April 1 through 10, 1914. The same business meeting, Reverend A. T. Abbott was ordained to the ministry in the Assemblies of God and elected as the first pastor of the church.
A fire destroyed the store building on West Parker and the church moved to an old pool hall on Hammett Street in Park Place. Later the same year, 1926, the new congregation purchased property on the corner of Park and Gridley Streets because of a streetcar crossing. A small chapel was soon constructed and the church moved to this location which served as its permanent home for the next 59 years.
The Morris Street Sanctuary with classrooms in the basement was constructed during the ministry of Reverend J. D. Courtney in 1942. The three-story educational building was added in 1952 under the ministry of Reverend G. E. Gould.
Reverend Abbott served the church as pastor for seven years. Succeeding his ministry the following ministers pastored the church for varying periods of time: L.R. Clevenger, A.L. Chadwick, M.O. Turner, Water Forster, L.R. Logan, J.D. Courtney, C.L. Duck., G.E. Gould, C.V. Elliott, J. Edward Blount. In 1982 Reverend Kenneth W. Owen Sr. accepted the pastorate of this distinguished church! With much prayer, steady growth was seen immediately.
A vision of growth and reaching the Greenville community was apparent in both the people and the pastor. Several years later with much prayer the vision began to take shape as the church decided to move toward the community church goal! As plans were made to build on the Haywood Road property, purchased under the J. Edward Blount pastorate, the old facility on Morris and Gridley Street were sold. For 18 months First Assembly met in a temporary location on Wade Hampton. In September of 1986 First Assembly moved into it’s new present location on Haywood Road. Now with a 1250 seat to fill, First Assembly, through many ministries, is seeking to fulfil the intent of its original founding pastor and members. “Which is to reach and teach all who would respond to the wooing of the Spirit of God.”
Greenville, SC 29615
Sunday School 9:00 am
Able Island (special needs) 10:05am
Assembly City Kids Church 10:05am
Adult Service 10:05am
Sunday Evening Service 6pm
*1st and 3rd Sunday's only, unless noted in events page
Royal Rangers Boys Club 7pm
mPact Girls Club 7pm
Crave Student Ministries 7pm
Adult Bible Study 7pm